New York City Local Law 84

Introduced in 2009 by Council Members Mark-Viverito, the Speaker (Council Member Quinn), Recchia Jr., Avella, Brewer, Fidler, Gentile, James, Liu, Nelson, Seabrook, Weprin, White Jr., Garodnick, Lappin, Yassky, Sears, Mendez, de Blasio, Katz, Mitchell, Vann, Gioia, Vacca, Vallone Jr., Jackson, Ferreras, Koppell, Comrie, Barron, Arroyo, Crowley, Gennaro, Mealy and Reyna.

To amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to benchmarking the energy and water efficiency of buildings.

Be it enacted by the Council as follows:

Section 1. Chapter 3 of title 28 of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended by adding a new article 309 to read as follows:

Article 309

Benchmarking Energy and Water Use

§ 28-309.1 General. The energy and water use of city buildings and covered buildings shall be benchmarked in accordance with this article.

§ 28-309.2 Definitions. As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:

Benchmark. To input and submit to the benchmarking tool the total use of energy and water for a building for the previous calendar year and other descriptive information for such building as required by the benchmarking tool.

BenchmarkingTool. The internet-based database system developed by the United States environmental protection agency, and any complementary interface designated by the office of long-term planning and sustainability, to track and assess the energy and water use of certain buildings relative to similar buildings.

City Building. A building that is more than 10,000 gross square feet, as it appears in the records of the department of finance, that is owned by the city or for which the city regularly pays all or part of the annual energy bills, provided that two or more buildings on the same tax lot shall be deemed to be one building. Exception: The term “city building” shall not include:

  1. Any building not owned by the city in which the city is a tenant and for which the city does not pay all the energy bills;
  2. Any building owned by the city that participates in the tenant interim lease apartment purchase program; or
  3. Any building owned by the city that (i) is 50,000 gross square feet or less, as it appears in the records of the department of finance, and (ii) participates in a program administered by the department of housing preservation and development. Read more